Sunday, January 01, 2006

New Year's Eve

Last New Year's Eve I had found out I was pregnant the previous day; we weren't telling anyone, but we went to a party an hour away and I was happy on a small glass of champagne, and happy to drive home.

This NYE I woke up in the night, 1 day late, no bleeding yet; at 9 a.m. Mr Spouse was confiding his fear of parenthood; by 9.10 of course my new, Christmas present pyjamas had a nice red stain on them. I know I am superstitious and believed completely irrationally that we'd get good news at the same time this year as last. But I was sorry to see Mr Spouse go down the same road. He was very sorry he'd started to express hope, as he knows it upsets me more.

But we do have these superstitions, and the New Year is one of the biggest: this year, none of the bad things will happen that dogged last year. It's a completely arbitrary date change. But here's to 2006!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I so hope you are right about 2006. And I'm sorry it didn't start off in a truly auspicious way for you.

Anonymous said...

I hope that you have some fab holidays planned for 2006!

Maria