Thursday, February 07, 2008

Pancakes

I am very bad at making English-style (or possibly really French-style) pancakes (crêpes). I can do American style ones, probably because that's what my mother taught me to make. Because of this, I am ashamed to say, despite my foodie pretensions, that I buy ready-made ones from Sainsbury's. I was thinking at the weekend how I could accomplish this as we had a busy day on Tuesday, including some horrid dental work on Mr Spouse, who was going to need a pickup afterwards, followed by choir.

I then remembered three years ago - not to the date, but to the festival - when I went to A&E with bleeding at 10 weeks in my first pregnancy, thought everything was going to be OK, went home and had ready-made pancakes, followed by a scan the next morning revealing an empty sac. I was confident that evening that NigelandDelia would make it. Mr Spouse wasn't.

Needless to say, the last few days have not been great. Three years ago we went to an Ash Wednesday service but yesterday I stayed late at work and we forgot until we'd finished dinner, at which point it was too late. We were both annoyed - it is a very appropriate service for our mood.

I have moaned before about my choir and the requirement to attend a certain number of rehearsals if you want to sing in the concert. I like some aspects of choir but don't feel excited about going to rehearsals, and it seems to be such an effort to make the required number of rehearsals, especially as work commitments can mean I then have to go when I'm feeling under the weather (as on Tuesday when I skipped it), so I think I am giving it up. It is a fairly prestigious choir with an audition requirement, but I guess I think they have an inflated opinion of themselves and the difficulty of the music as I have been told I can't sing in concerts I have definitely felt prepared for. We'll see what they say this term as the structure of the music means I am in a very small group for some pieces.

Sorry for the moan, got that off my chest now I think!

2 comments:

Thalia said...

sounds like a tough time for you, anniversaries like this are always very hard.

I can't do thin pancakes either, but we just didn't have any, so that solved that problem.

DinosaurD said...

I didn't even know you could buy ready-made pancakes. Are they any good? Maybe I need to get out more.

There are still dates/times that remind me of one or more of my miscarriages. One of my friends has a daughter who turns 5 next week - on the same day that was my due date for the first miscarriage. It still bothers me that I could have had a child turning 5 right around now - you'd think I'd be over it by now and with the two that I do have.

Hope you get to sing (with the choir or without)

DinoD