Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Intermission

Briefly - I've been in hospital with Baby Spouse since Monday (it's now Wednesday night) - I am very grateful that we live 15 minutes walk from the hospital.  Mr Spouse came in Monday night to relieve me while I got stuff, and yesterday while I napped because I hadn't slept on Monday night because Baby Spouse's oxygen levels tanked and the nurses were trying everything to get them back up.

He has a chest infection and either the antibiotics, or the steroids, or the inhaler/nebuliser, or all of those, have helped. He had to have more oxygen last night but I slept, and so did he, and tonight Mr Spouse gets to sleep on the hospital bed. He should be home tomorrow.

We are anxious, but he is doing a lot better, and I think we're more shocked that we weren't even going to take him in, and the hospital thought he would be OK at home but kept him in to be on the safe side.

I've explained to what seems like 25 million people about his adoption, what age he was when placed, to about half of them where he came from, and to one doctor (who did ask "do you mind") why we chose to adopt from the US not the UK. I explained that the same kinds of children need adopting in both countries, but the system allows for birth parents to choose not to allow their child to go into foster care, but can have a say in who adopts their child, in the US. I did not say (as I was not asked, but I did say this to a friend) that they do it that way "because it's sensible to do it that way". I am very aware that there are ethical issues around this, and that the US foster care system is probably at least as broken as the UK system, but something needs to change for babies in the UK.

This whole serious illness is a big thing to get your head round, though, and it's left me at least thinking about other parts of his/our lives (especially childcare).  I'll try and keep you posted.

Update: here

3 comments:

the boy's behaviour said...

So sorry to hear Baby Spouse has been so poorly, but I've read your update and am pleased he's on the mend.
Scary times though, and the interrogations about background always make those anxious times so much more so in my experience.

Thanks for linking up to #WASO

Anonymous said...

We've had a very similar experience in hospital where a cough and cold got into the airways and our boy struggled with his breathing so I understand how worrying these times are. And you don't get any sleep on the bed beside them. I hope all is much better now and Baby Spouse is home and doing well.
Thanks for linking to the weekly Adoption shout Out.

Anonymous said...

We've had a very similar experience in hospital where a cough and cold got into the airways and our boy struggled with his breathing so I understand how worrying these times are. And you don't get any sleep on the bed beside them. I hope all is much better now and Baby Spouse is home and doing well.
Thanks for linking to the weekly Adoption shout Out.